Category Archives: Fitting

Tee

I was considering calling this post “FO: Refashioned Tee”, but then decided that “FO” and “refashioned” were both slightly grand terms for what I have just done, which is essentially taking in the side seams on a bought t-shirt.*

Anyhow. Here is the original t-shirt which I bought from a stall at Camden Lock in June:

IMAG0112 (400 x 600)

 

I loved the print too much not to buy one, but the shirts were ‘one size fits all’ with a couple of different cuts to choose from. This particular cut had more fabric to play with – the problem is that its profile was shaped like 1), whereas my figure is more shaped like 2):

IMG_6736 (600 x 450)

 

So what I did is that I placed my kimono tee pattern over the front and used that to mark out a new seamline on front and back. In order to give myself a bit more ease at the hips, I used this tutorial from BurdaStyle to create neat slits at the side seams, using scraps of interfacing as my ‘facing fabric’.

And the result? Well, I now have a t-shirt which I can wear! The fit at the back isn’t great but it’s eminently wearable and I’m afraid I couldn’t be bothered to do anything about that – I couldn’t even be bothered to change my sewing machine thread from beige to ivory!

IMG_6735 (600 x 450)

Sorry for the lack of ‘good’ photos, by the way. That sort of thing just isn’t where it’s at at the minute either.

x

*We decided at a knitting evening last night that I am an ISTJ. Can you tell?!

Knitting Fizz Buzz

Do you know the game Fizz Buzz? Basically you start at 1 and count upwards, taking it in turn to say a number. So far so easy, but in your counting out loud you must replace every multiple of 3 with “fizz!” and every multiple of 5 with “buzz!”. Multiples of 3 and 5 (ie. multiples of 15) then become “fizz buzz!”.

Why yes, I did grow up in an education-orientated household.

Anyway, I have started work again on my Omelette Cardigan after a long hiatus. This is mainly due to the fact that I knew I was going to have to play a 4-way game of knitting Fizz Buzz in this section and I needed to wait until I had the time and head-space to deal with it.

image

I do make life complicated for myself though. The pattern stipulates that you must intersperse decrease rows with buttonhole rows. I decided that this wasn’t complicated enough so added vertical darts and an embossed effect motif to the left pocket area. Oh, and I’ll probably need to grade between sizes by the time I get to the waist too.

It keeps life interesting, no?!

The Difference A Dart Makes

They say that a picture tells a thousand words, so have a somewhat blurry 3000-word essay.

IMG_6564 (600 x 450) IMG_6567 (600 x 450) IMG_6571 (600 x 450)

Altering Patterns – The Hard Way

I have to alter pretty much every single sewing pattern in order for it to fit me. Standard alterations include length (all over), full bust adjustment, swayback adjustment, large backside adjustment, and grading from one size on top to another on bottom.

Having accepted this from the word go, I don’t mind the process too much. I trace all my patterns in order to preserve the tissue and stuff like adding length in is very easy to do on the paper as you go along.

A full bust adjustment? Not so much. The slash and pivot process is very much to be done with scissors and tape, as illustrated fantastically by the gif on my go-to FBA tutorial. But I use greaseproof paper for tracing off my patterns, and have yet to find a reliable, accurate sticking method – after all, it’s designed to resist grease and glue!

So last night I gave it a go on McCall’s 5661 using nowt but a pencil, ruler, protractor and compass. Here’s where I got to, before I rubbed out a load of the construction lines:

IMG_6201 (600 x 450)

There are a couple more steps to go. In particular, I divided the one big dart that I was left with into two smaller ones, but have currently got both their points meeting together, which will not be a good look when sewn up.

It’s fun, though. It really stretches the brain, I find, and makes me want to go on a proper pattern drafting course. Of course, the real proof of the pudding will be in the eating – when I transfer the 2D changes to a 3D muslin in order to dress a 3D body.