We humans are perverse creatures.
I’ve had a bad couple of weeks or so. Money’s been even tighter than I expected, due to the fact that my back gave way ten days ago and I ended up at the chiropractor for emergency treatment. I’ve been in pain; I’ve been angry; I’ve been worried about life-stuff; I’ve been really quite depressed.
All I wanted to do was to splurge on yarn to make myself feel better, and I wasn’t even able to do that. If you’d asked me one week ago what I was definitely going to buy once there was some money in my bank account, it’d have been this:
1. Merino/cashmere aran weight from eBay, in a flecked navy. Isn’t it pretty?
2. Mulberry Silk fingering weight from DyeForYarn on Etsy. Omnomnomnomnom.
3. Whatever amazing yarn ColourMart happened to be offering at the time (I couldn’t even bring myself to look).
4. Knitting Goddess 4 ply 100% silk. This yarn is discontinued, but that wasn’t going to stop me ogling people’s stash photos on Ravelry. This one belongs to pmcblonde. Just look at that pale gold on the right hand side. Absolutely stunning.
It is now May. My pay arrived. I went back onto the internet, ready for that splurge.
- I didn’t buy the merino cashmere aran weight. I stilll love the cake photos, but I came across a picture of the knitted fabric that it turns into and it just wasn’t what I’d had in mind. Too flecky.
- I didn’t buy the DyeForYarn mulberry silk. I still love it, but the colours were all screaming Autumn or Winter to me and I’m in the mood for Spring.
- Colourmart didn’t have anything that was grabbing me. As you know, I’m all about the colours… and none of the colours on offer were quite right in a yarn that I wanted. They have some pretty merino singles, but I’m in the mood for silk, baby. Yes, I have expensive tastes. Sigh.
- I would totally still buy that pale gold 4 ply, but the whole being discontinued thing makes that harder.
There’s nothing quite like wanting something until you can have it, is there?